Parents and caretakers of victims and survivors of Shaken Baby Syndrome/Abusive Head Trauma (SBS/AHT) often have difficulty navigating the many resources available to them in the aftermath of abuse. This section will help link you to some of the national and state-wide resources you may be able to utilize regarding resources for disabilities, support, and crime victim assistance.
There are many more resources available to victims of SBS/AHT, and their families, than are listed below. If you need help locating different resources available to you in your state, county, or area, please call the office at (801) 447-9360 ext 105, where we will be happy to assist you in this matter and help meet your specific needs.
This section also features stories from families who have dealt with SBS/AHT. Their generosity in sharing their stories has been comforting and helpful to many families dealing with the repercussions of abuse
Below are a list of resources that are available nationally across the United States. Click on your state below for local resources.
Victims of Crime
These links will lead to national crime victims services that are available to victims of crimes and their caretakers.
- The National Center for Victims of Crime
- National Organization of Parents of Murdered Children
- National Organization for Victim Assistance
- National Association of Crime Victim Compensation Boards
- The Compassionate Friends Society – Supporting Family after a Child dies
These links will lead to the national disability resources that are available to person with disabilities and their caretakers.
- The Brain Injury Alliance
- The Arc
- Cerebral Palsy Family Network
- Council for Exceptional Children
- Disability Resources.org
- Learning Ally
These links will lead to online support groups for parents, caretakers, siblings, and survivors of Shaken Baby Syndrome.
- Grandparents of Shaken Baby Syndrome Victims Support Group (Facebook)
- Shaken Baby Syndrome Support – Families of Angels (Facebook)
- Shaken Baby Syndrome Support (Facebook)
- List of Parent Support Groups for Children with Disabilities or Special Needs
- SibTeen Facebook group for siblings of people with disabilities
State Specific Resources
Please click on a state to see a list of crime victim, disability, and support group resources specific to that state.
Stories from Victims of SBS
Since 2000, the NCSBS has been working toward preventing babies from being injured or even killed from injuries sustained through violent shaking. Annually, thousands of families around the world experience the tragedy of shaken baby syndrome. Some face the loss of their newest family member, others express gratitude that their baby lived to fight another day. ALL are left facing the challenge of moving forward.
Listed below are the families of the victims of SBS who courageously share their stories of joy, heartbreak and hope. Click the buttons to meet them and discover their journeys.